Things to do in Sapporo
Sapporo, the largest city present in the island of Hokkaido, Japan has become the center of attraction after the hosted Winter Olympic Games in 1972. Make your arrangements ready if you are travelling to Sapporo. Make sure you visit the following places in once you make a plan.
- Odori Park: If you want to visit a patch of green amidst the high rise and offices around, visit the Odori Park. This is a dynamic destination wherefrom you can start exploring the place. View the spectacular Sapporo TV tower and several other galleries. Attend events like the Sapporo Snow festival and the Sapporo Lilac Festival.
- Hokkaido Shrine: The Hokkaido Shrine built in 1871, is one of the most important Shinto shrine. The site is a massive place and is a garden replete with cherry blossom. You must visit the venue during Sapporo Festival in June, when people dressed in long robes visit the shrine paying homage to their ancestors.
- Mount Moiwa Ropeway: Mount Moiwa is a 531 meter tall hill that could be reached with much ease. Try a day trekking to reach the top of the hill or avail the cable car ride to reach the top. You will enjoy a great panoramic site of the city, and also enjoy a meal at the on-site restaurant and enjoy a show at the planetarium. Take a pleasure ride at the Mount Moiwa ski resort which is a dream venue for the ski enthusiasts.
- Jozankei Onsen Hot Spring: Have a spectacular view of the Jozankei Onsen hot spring. A trip over this place is worth the time you spend from a summer excursion. Have a splash at the sodium chlorine rich waters of the hot spring that had attracted spectators from the Sapporo and beyond places since the year 1866. There are 56 hot springs that pours water maintaining at 60-80 degree Celsius. You can explore the scenic walking trails, a great attraction for the nature lovers.
- Maruyama Park: Visit the Mayurama park, which is a multipurpose area having visitors all around. The 226 meter high hill would come with 226 meter high hill having more than 1700 cherry trees. During autumn while the maple trees could change colors, the place becomes idea for bird watching as the species flock allover from Japan. Visit the Okurayam Ski Jump stadium which was built for the 1972 Winter Olympics. The Mayurama zoo has a collection of various native and exotic animals.
- Shikotsu-Toya National Park: The Shitkotsu Toya National park is a wide range of volcanic landscape having crater lakes and hot springs. You can enjoy a day trip from Sapporo, where the largest section of the National park belong. See the Nakayama Pass and the crustal clear Toya Lake which doesn’t freeze even during winters.
- Moerenuma Park: Visit this park during spring, and you will enjoy the mind boggling sight of 3,000 trees all playing a palette of colors. The most awaited attraction is the glass pyramid known as Hidamari and the steel triangle known as Tetra Mount. This park is dominated by sculptures, both big and small will mesmerize anybody who is a first time visitor.